Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Holidays

I had to get out of that store. Holiday rage, or anti-holiday rage was about to set in. I say anti-holiday rage in regards to the rage and sometimes violent behavior in response to the rage and sometimes violent behavior exhibited by mostly, and I hate to do it, but i must stereotype, mostly...soccer-moms. You know who they are; those perky and bouncy moms with the blond pony-tails sticking out of the back of pink ball-caps. They have black work-out pants with the white stripes, sneakers, a half-baked smile, and glassy eyes. Their mini-van has those white stick-figure families on the back window. There is no dad there, or the dad stick figure is relegated to the position behind the family dog. On the back door is always the white soccer ball sticker.

It all started when I drove through the Wegmans parking lot close to my house. Ok, I procrastinated about buying veggies for a tray to take to Mom's for Thanksgiving, but I am a guy and that sort of behavior is acceptable. The store was busy, real busy.  I spotted a car backing out of a spot in front of me and waited of the old guy to finish. I moved up to fill the hole and around the corner at the far end, one of those mini-vans, you can spot them a mile away, wheeled around the end and like a vision from a magic carpet, she was in that spot. I rolled down my window with my best "what-the-fuck" look, and promptly got a "fuck off" and a one finger salute from the driver. The shoping trip didn't get any better.

Inside, another one (yes, I'm stereotyping and will continue to do so), was running though the store, running, pushing the cart and tossing this head of lettuce, that bag of chips, a live lobster, I didn't see what else, she was out of sight in a flash. Another, that damn pony tail bouncing double time, it would be worn out before she got done, actually ran into my cart and politely asked me to get the fuck out of her way. I didn't, but I smiled when I said no.

As "Black Friday" approaches and these soccer moms, others too, take off work, lose a hundred, maybe two hundred dollars in wages to make the ultimate sacrifice for their darling little girl who is waiting at home, tapping her foot impatiently to make sure her damn mom gets the right I--PAD--PHONE--POD--PED--P--WHATEVER,  (she just knows mom will screw this up and embarrass her into becoming a recluse the rest of her miserable adolescence) and save fifty bucks. So, as this iconic day approaches and passes, I have to look forward to Christmas when each soccer mom who did screw up the Black Friday deal, panics and in desperation, runs amok and blindly smashes through the next 30 days trying to make it up to her darling "next-to-be" soccer star. Meanwhile, Dad is either living in his mother's basement, or drunk in the garage trying to stay out of the way...so am I. It's going to be a long holiday season. Good cheer, and good luck.

5 comments:

  1. I hate the holidays because of a lot of reasons. I have holiday rage as you put it. The black friday part cannot be anymore true. I go every year and I go for stuff for myself, not for christmas and it's funny to see all the parents who stand in line so their bratty little kids can get something that will be obsolete in a year. It shows just how well capitalism is working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I just haven't been looking for them but I don't think I've ever run into one of these annoying soccer moms... though when I think about I guess I do have an aunt who might fall into that category... Yea she's actually pretty annoying now that I think about it. I'm sure as I get older I'll probably grow more and more pissed at these creatures like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work at a children's clothing store back in Horseheads and you have no idea how right you are about these "soccer moms". I cannot fathom how someone who looks so perky can be so down-right rude. I tell myself every year that this will be the last Black Friday I work, but, frankly, the money on that day is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoid any shopping the day before Thanksgiving and Black Friday (hell this year I left the country completely!) And you hit the type right on the head. My Mom doesn't own a mini-van anymore but she was out there on Black Friday. She said she got a "late start" this year. 6:30 am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my lord, fuck Black Friday. When my mom actually went this year I was appalled (worried, too, until she mentioned she was just going to K-Mart; no trampling at a store no one remembers). But you know, that iPed you mention, it might just be worth dealing with all of those soccer moms. Like Logan, I've never run into them, but even going to Wal-Mart on an average day is enough to get my blood boiling.

    ReplyDelete