Sunday, September 4, 2011

Welcome to The Fourth Window



     Welcome to my blog. Our Creative Non-Fiction Workshop class is trying something new and exciting…we are doing our assignments, our writing, and responses as blog posts in our own blogs. This unique concept is the brainchild of our professor, Dr. A.P. here at B. University. While along the way a few nuances may crop up, I suspect the entire semester will be a learning experience on many levels.
     While the mechanics of blogging will be a challenge, writing for an audience unknown will draw back curtains which have hidden very safely, my tattered notebooks, my piles of papers, my electronic files that only professors and a few classmates have been allowed to read.
     The internet is an unlimited and timeless. Blog surfers, lurkers, and authors scan the internet each day…and will likely do so for years. What we will write is free game for anyone, friends, family, enemies, potential employers, and complete strangers will have access to our thoughts, feelings, wants, desires…access without reciprocity…surely an exhilarating concept, if not altogether scary. Who will read it? What if a friend takes something out of context? What if a parent reads it? What if a future employer bases a decision on what I write? Should I temper what I write with these questions in mind?
     For me, stepping through the comfortable curtains, behind which I have safely hidden my writing, presents me with a monumental challenge…like the first kiss, the first step into a college classroom, the first lap in a new race car…or the last breath one takes. A new venture…I might get bruised, I might get hurt, I will have fun, and I will learn something about myself I never knew. In any case, what I write will be parts of me that I care to share. Those parts I do not care to share will rightfully stay safely hidden behind the curtains of my mind.
     So, without further explications, I am going to run past the curtained windows and  jump right through The Fourth Window and into parts unknown. Enjoy yourself here, leave a comment or two,  and please stop at my other blog called When Trees Fall, here at blogspot.com.

5 comments:

  1. This photo works so well with what you've forecast here. I will curious to see how you jump through the curtains--what's revealed, veiled, brought to light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is nicely put together! I agree with what you’re saying. Whenever we create something it’s never easy but it’s always fun and we definitely learn something about ourselves along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely know what you mean about blogging, Duane, and I really like the title of this. I like what you said about writing for an unknown audience since it's completely true. Anyone could stumble on to these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jason in that it's nice you're addressing a collective audience outside of the program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Duane! It makes me wish I had started my blogging off with a nice introduction post like this. I also share many of the same worries that you do about sharing my work on the world wide web, but it's exciting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete